SEVIS Fee Information and How to Pay
What is the SEVIS fee?
This rule requires F-1 and J-1 visa applicants to pay a one-time fee of U.S. $200 (F-1 students) or U.S. $180 (J-1 exchange visitors) to cover the costs of the Student Exchange and Visitor Information System (SEVIS).
This fee is different from the visa application fee, and is paid separately.
Note: This fee does not apply to anyone already in the USA with F-1 or J-1 student status.
Who pays the fee?
The fee can be paid by the student or a third-party such a friend, relative, agent, or school.
Note: A visa interview appointment cannot be scheduled until this fee is paid and received by the Department of Homeland Security.
How can I pay the SEVIS fee?
Students must pay the U.S. $200 (F-1 students) or U.S. $180 (J-1 exchange visitors) to DHS at least 3 business days before applying for a visa.
The SEVIS fee can only be paid by one of the following methods:
- Go to https://www.fmjfee.com/i901fee/
- Complete Form I-901, the "Fee Remittance for Certain F, J, and M Nonimmigrants" form.
- Include credit card payment for the US$200 (F-1 Students) or US$180 (J-1 Exchange) SEVIS Fee.
Visa, Mastercard, or American Express cards only. Enter student name exactly as it appears on the Form I-20 or Form DS-2019. Print copy of the online receipt for your records. Receipt is required to verify payment at the US embassy, consulate or port-of-entry.
Note: Payment by Internet is processed immediately. At time ofpayment, receipts can be printed directly from the computer.
- Fill out the Form I-901 online at www.fmjfee.com. A payment coupon will be generated upon completion of the form.
- Print a copy of the payment coupon and take it to your local Western Union.
- Fill out the Quick Collect/Quick Pay Form according to the information found at the bottom of the printed coupon. Example below:
Company Name (or Code City): SEVISFEE
Account Number: Coupon Number (ex: 010222013872390)
*Please note that the payment amount may differ according to your specific visa type.
Present the coupon and your payment to the Western Union Agent for processing.
Payment will be linked to your Form I-901 and your online payment confirmation will be available immediately at www.fmjfee.com.
Important Information for Nonimmigrant Students and Exchange Visitors:
- You must complete the Form I-901 online at www.fmjfee.com prior to visiting your local Western Union. Completing the form online will generate a unique coupon number that you will need to validate and process your I-901 SEVIS fee payment at Western Union. You cannot submit a payment via Western Union without the coupon number.
- You do not have to print and bring the coupon to Western Union; you only need the unique coupon number in order to submit your payment.
- If a third party is paying your I-901 SEVIS fee on your behalf, you will need to provide them with your coupon number to enter into the Account Number field of the Western Union Quick Pay/Quick Collect Form.
For additional information about the I-901 SEVIS fee payment process, visit Study in the States.
- Obtain Form I-901. The forms are available at www.fmjfee.com or call 1-800-870-3676 (in the U.S.).
- Complete Form I-901.
- Include check, international money order, or foreign draft (drawn on U.S. banks only) in the amount of US$200 (F-1 Student) or US$180 (J-1 Exchange Visitor) made payable to " I-901 Student/Exchange Visitor Processing Fee ".
- Enter student or visitor name exactly as it appears on the Form I-20 or Form DS-2019.
- Mail the completed I-901 and payment to the address listed on the Form I-901.
- If you choose to pay by check or money order, you must be able to print the Form I‑901 payment coupon when you complete the form online. Ensure a printer is connected and working before continuing. You can always return to the 'Check I‑901 Status / Print Payment Confirmation' page and print the online I‑901 Payment Confirmation at a later time. A receipt can only be printed online when you complete the form.