SEVIS Fee Information and How to Pay
What is the SEVIS fee?
This rule requires F-1 and J-1 visa applicants to pay a one-time fee of U.S. $200 (F-1 students) or U.S. $180 (J-1 exchange visitors) to cover the costs of the Student Exchange and Visitor Information System (SEVIS).
This fee is different from the visa application fee, and is paid separately.
Note: This fee does not apply to anyone already in the USA with F-1 or J-1 student status.
Who pays the fee?
The fee can be paid by the student or a third-party such a friend, relative, agent, or school.
Note: A visa interview appointment cannot be scheduled until this fee is paid and received by the Department of Homeland Security.
How can I pay the SEVIS fee?
Students must pay the U.S. $200 (F-1 students) or U.S. $180 (J-1 exchange visitors) to DHS at least 3 business days before applying for a visa.
The SEVIS fee can only be paid by one of the following methods:
- Go to https://www.fmjfee.com/i901fee/
- Complete Form I-901, the "Fee Remittance for Certain F, J, and M Nonimmigrants" form.
- Include credit card payment for the US$200 (F-1 Students) or US$180 (J-1 Exchange) SEVIS Fee.
Visa, Mastercard, or American Express cards only. Enter student name exactly as it appears on the Form I-20 or Form DS-2019. Print copy of the online receipt for your records. Receipt is required to verify payment at the US embassy, consulate or port-of-entry.
Note: Payment by Internet is processed immediately. At time ofpayment, receipts can be printed directly from the computer.
Note: Payment through Western Union is processed immediately. You will receive a receipt at the time of payment.
- Obtain Form I-901. The forms are available at www.fmjfee.com or call 1-800-870-3676 (in the U.S.).
- Complete Form I-901.
- Include check, international money order, or foreign draft (drawn on U.S. banks only) in the amount of US$200 (F-1 Student) or US$180 (J-1 Exchange Visitor) made payable to " I-901 Student/Exchange Visitor Processing Fee ".
- Enter student or visitor name exactly as it appears on the Form I-20 or Form DS-2019.
- Mail the completed I-901 and payment to the address listed on the Form I-901.
- If you choose to pay by check or money order, you must be able to print the Form I‑901 payment coupon when you complete the form online. Ensure a printer is connected and working before continuing. You can always return to the 'Check I‑901 Status / Print Payment Confirmation' page and print the online I‑901 Payment Confirmation at a later time. A receipt can only be printed online when you complete the form.