Orientation Assistant Program
The UC San Diego International Center invites applications for the Fall 2013 Orientation Assistant Program.
As a volunteer Orientation Assistant (OA), you will play an integral role during the New International Student Orientation held every September to welcome hundreds of international students, researchers, faculty, and family members to the UC San Diego campus.
Check out the pictures from last years' orientation and welcome week events:
- Mandatory 1-day OA training on Thursday, Aug. 29, 2013, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. (You will not be eligible for the program if you cannot attend this mandatory training.)
- Volunteer at least 6 hours a week from Tuesday, September 3 to Friday, September 20, 2013
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Welcome new international students, researchers, faculty, and their families
- Meet with students and scholars to determine their immediate needs
- Help students and scholars complete check-in forms
- Provide information and materials on everything from bank accounts to driver's licenses
- Assist in locating short-term and long-term housing options in the area
- Make campus and community referrals as needed
- Assist with the Fall 2013 New International Student and Scholar Welcome Dinner (greeting guests, helping to prepare and serve dinner for about 500 people)
- Highly motivated with a positive attitude
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
- Cross-cultural sensitivity, patience, and empathy
- Ability to serve as role model and mentor
How to apply
Application deadline: June 28, 2013
Annemarie Catanzaro, 4th year Cognitive Science Major.
Annie joined the Orientation Assistant(OA) program in Fall 11 to help international students as they adjust to life at UC San Diego. Learn more
about Annie’s experience as a FA 11 OA.
Many students at UCSD study abroad to get an international experience, yet Amy Dixit found hers on campus. She has volunteered at the International Center as an Orientation Assistant (OA) for the past three years.... (read more)