UC San Diego SearchMenu

Work, Intern, and Volunteer Abroad (WIV)

If you are interested in gaining international experience, there are many options available to you beyond studying abroad.  

How to Find a Work, Intern, or Volunteer Abroad Experience

Use the categories and links below to help you start your search. Keep in mind that while this is a collection of great resources, it is by no means an exhaustive list. You can schedule an appointment with a PAO Advisor if you have questions about work, intern, or volunteer opportunities in a specific country.

Information Sessions

If you are interested in working, interning or volunteering abroad, please check the PAO Google Calendar for upcoming events.  Currently, we hold several WIV information sessions throughout the academic year:  JET Information Session (Fall Quarter), International Internships  (Fall & Winter quarters) and Teach and Work Abroad (Spring Quarter) 

UCSD Resources for Work, Intern, and Volunteer Abroad

Working & Teaching Abroad

Working & Teaching Abroad

You can teach English or get other paid jobs while abroad. In order to be eligible for paid work in a country where you are not a legal citizen, you will need special permission from that country’s government in the form of a work permit or a visa. For more information on obtaining work permits/visas, contact the country’s embassy at their location in the United States.  A list of work permit programs that will help you facilitate getting a work visa in specific countries are listed below under Work Abroad.


WORK PLACEMENT PROGRAMS:  Work placement programs place you in a job, usually procure work permits and sometimes assist with housing.   Placement programs typically charge a fee for their services.

  • Cultural Embrace by API:  Offers paid work placements and internships in various countries.
  • CC USA:  Paid work programs and placements as camp counselors.
  • GeoVisions-Au Pair Program:  Provides childcare placements in a variety of countries.
  • InterExchange:  Paid and unpaid placements that range in duration of 3-12 months.  
  • AIDE Abroad:  Offers various types of short-term and long-term paid work placements.



  • Teach Abroad Government Sponsored Programs: view a printable handout of foreign government sponsored programs such as JET (Japan) and Fulbright.
  • Teach Abroad Programs & Private Opportunities:  view a printable handout of teach abroad programs and private opportunities. 


Interning Abroad

Interning Abroad

While abroad, you can participate in internships that may be unpaid, for academic credit, or for pay.  Paid internships are not eligible for financial aid and are typically full time.  Internships done for academic credit are usually unpaid and may be eligible for financial aid and/or scholarships.

Note: For internships arranged independently (not through a program provider), you must find a UC faculty advisor and make arrangements through the UCSD Academic Internship Program in order to get academic credit at UCSD.


Academic: An academic internship may be full-time or part-time, is usually unpaid and is typically arranged through a program.  May be eligible for financial aid.

Work:  May be paid or unpaid and self-arranged or through a program.  Not eligible for financial aid.

ACADEMIC INTERNSHIP PROGRAMS:  Internships for academic credit offered in conjunction with study abroad.  May be eligible for financial aid. For more options, please visit GoAbroad.com

WORK INTERNSHIPS:  May be paid or unpaid, self-arranged or through a program that offers placement.  Typically full-time and not eligible for financial aid.


Volunteering Abroad

Volunteering Abroad

Volunteering abroad is one of the best ways to get international experience. It is flexible and can last anywhere from one or two weeks to several years. You can volunteer abroad during summer, winter or spring breaks, for a quarter, year or even anytime after you graduate.  


< Step 2: Research Programs

Step 3: Finance Your Experience >